Innovative, Positive and Safe Internet Use
Safe Social Networking
Social network sites like Facebook, Bebo
allow users aged 13 and above to join. However, many children younger
than 13, also have accounts, by giving out false birth dates. An account
with a social network site gives you
a profile page, and interactive spaces where a community of friends and
family can leave messages, photos and videos. In many ways, your page is
like a 'notice board' about you. There are
many benefits to social networking, however, these sites are
sometimes misused too.
The following are some of the key
rules to using Social Networking Sites wisely:
1) Watch what you say, and what personal information you
share online, about yourself, and your network of friends and
2) Never share passwords, not even with best friends.
3) Always log off after using the Social Networking Sites, on
your phone, or on a computer, XBox/ PS3
4) Think before you upload pictures onto a website, or
pictures of your friends and family - always get their
5) There are laws online, and the online world is a
'real world', so be responsible in your
online actions, and treat others as you want them to treat you.
6) Always report inappropriate
contact to the service provider using their Report Abuse links,
and if anything worries you, talk to a trusted adult.
Safety tips from social
networking and other websites